J-1 Teach USA Program FAQs:

Where does the two years teaching experience need to be from?

Teaching experience must be from an accredited institution

Is it possible for teachers to extend their J-1 visa with Teach USA on the second year?

Yes. Teachers will typically be offered a one-year contract from their school. At the end of the year, schools and participants will determine whether they want to extend their contract. Teach USA will issue a new DS-2019 form with a new program end date and invoice the participant.

Are teachers allowed to work a second job while on the program?

The regulations for the J-1 Teacher visa do not allow teachers to take a paid position in addition to their current teaching position in the U.S. However they may take on additional extra-curricular opportunities within their host school (ie, coaching, tutoring).

How can teachers become certified to teach in their U.S. host school?

The teacher certification process is different state by state. The first step for all teachers is to undergo a Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE). Thankfully, Greenheart offers a unique discount for our teachers to expedite their FCE and save money in the process.

What is the salary for participating teachers

Teacher salaries are set by schools and districts based upon pedigree and experience. Teachers can expect to earn the same salary and benefits as their American counterparts, ranging from $35-$50K USD/year. 

How long can teachers stay in the US?

Participants can teach for 1-3 years at an accredited K-12 school (Pre-K teachers only for dual immersion language programs), with a possibility for a 1-2 year extension.

What is the cost for the Teach USA Program to participants?

Full Program or the Job Assist Program option is for US$2800 for the first year and Self Placed option is for US$1800. Other additional fees such as SEVIS, Embassy Fees, Airfare, ect, are listed in the Program Agreement.

Can participant’s dependents (children under 21 and spouses) work on a J-2 visa?

Yes. Dependents can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) that grants them permission to work while on a J-2 visa.

What is the typical calendar year for US Host Schools?

The U.S. school year runs from August/September to May/June, dependent upon the school district and region.

What types of schools can teachers expect to be placed in?

Greenheart Exchange works with all types of accredited K-12 schools, public and private across the country.